The Souvenir Building Collectors Society holds an annual convention. A location is usually selected based on members volunteering to host and act as convention planners and organizers. The typical 3 days, Friday, Saturday & Sunday, are filled with tours to buildings or monuments of architectural or historic interest, a business meeting, raffle/auction, and sharing of collections. A Commemorative Souvenir Building (limited to attendees) is a coveted memento of the gathering.
- 2016 Los Angeles, CA: Tour of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Hollyhock House in Barndall Park, walking tour of downtown LA’s Art Deco buildings, spirited raffle and auction.
- 2015 Orlando, FL: SBCS & SBCCA Exhibit of souvenir buildings in the Orlando City Hall Rotunda, walking tour of downtown Orlando, tour of Florida Southern College and the large collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings.
- 2014 Nashville, TN: Seeing Music City in a whole new light, capitol building tour, Nashville Flea Market, Belmont Mansion, The Parthenon, exciting building auction and raffle.
- 2013 Minneapolis/St Paul, MN: Highlights included a walking tour of downtown Minneapolis, a Trolley Tour of St. Paul, Show and Tell, and Raffle.
- 2012 Toronto, Canada: Inauguration of “Show and Tell”. Provincial Capital Building, Edwardian Elgin/Winter Garden Theatre.
- 2011 Washington, DC: White House tour. Receptions at homes of local Society members. National Building Museum.
- 2010 Stamford, CT: “The Metro New York Convention”. Tour of Philip Johnson’s Glass House. Home-made buffet. Miniature Building Collection located in the Empire State Building, Tour of environmentally responsible Bank of America Tower. Grand Central Station.
- 2009 Pasadena, CA: Pasadena City Tour. “How to Photograph Your Collection” workshop. Auction of donated buildings.
- 2008 Charlottesville, VA: Home of Thomas Jefferson and the University of Virginia Cavaliers. Tour of Thomas Jefferson’s Rotunda and Academic Village. After-hours visit to Monticello.
- 2007 Dallas, TX: Tour led by architectural historians. Educated on Dallas’ transformation to a modern city. Reunion Tower and the Dallas skyline.
- 2006 Baltimore, MD: Impressive collections of miniature buildings. Walking Tour of historic downtown. Provident Savings Bank.
- 2005 Philadelphia, PA: Philadelphia’s City Hall. Dinner in 19th century “Conversation Hall”. Swap-Meet. Walking Tour of “Society Hill”.
- 2004 Seattle, WA: Smith Tower Observation Deck. Smith Tower from the Columbia Center Observation Deck. New Seattle Public Library. Space Needle.
- 2003 Gettysburg, PA: Guided bus tour of the Gettysburg battlefield. Gettysburg Town Square. Train Station. The Grand Ballroom.
- 2002 San Francisco, CA: United Airlines Terminal Exhibition of Souvenir Buildings. Bus Tour of Collectors’ homes and collections. Rancho Diablo and the Building Building.
- 2001 – Montreal, Canada. 2000 – NYC, NY. 1999 – Chicago, IL. 1998 – Los Angeles, CA.
- 1997 – Washington, DC.
- 1995 – NYC, NY – First Convention.
All photographs on this page of SBCS Convention Commemorative Buildings are courtesy of the Building Collector. Click here to view the Building Collector’s August 2013 post on SBCS Commemorative Souvenir Buildings.