Raffle Ticket Sales were good. Auction Bidding was Animated.
The Souvenir Building Collectors Society caught the early boat! What a magnificent day for this cruise!
It’s time to reserve your table space at the annual SBCS SWAP MEET (full table – $25, half table – $15). Click here to download the Registration Form.
All across the country and maybe the globe, souvenir building enthusiasts are culling their collections in anticipation of this year’s swap meet. You never know what treasure will appear in the Saturday Swap and Sale Meet.
The Souvenir Building Society will have a group of small buildings from the Bob Kneisel Collection for sale. Here are a few pictures.
Our hotel in Chicago is in the shadow of the Tribune Tower and the Wrigley Buildings, an easy walk to Michigan Ave. and the Navy Pier, just across the river from the Loop, Millennium Park (the Bean), the Chicago Art Institute, and all the other wonderful buildings and museums and galleries and stores.
Tell your friends, spread the news, Chicago 2017 is going to be an exciting time.
We want to bring new faces to the convention this year. Reach out to any collectors you know or run into. Recruit them as members and first-time conventioneers at SBCS 2017 – Chicago!
WATCH FOR YOUR APRIL EDITION of The Journal of the Souvenir Building Collectors Society for further details.
In past Holiday Seasons, before so many gift selections went online, we all got lots of gift catalogs. The bounty of items found in those catalogs was detailed by Dixie Trainer, the first editor of SOUVENIR BUILDING COLLECTOR, in the 2003 Winter Issue. She recommended checking out AND even saving for later perusal catalogs that held pictures of a variety of small and unique buildings. To quote Dixie, “…. souvenir buildings light up, scale down, serve drinks, lie on the floor, play music, organize your books and challenge the mind.” Click here to be taken to the full article from 2003. And enjoy a trip to Christmas Past.
The SOUVENIR BUILDING COLLECTORS SOCIETY website has lots of useful features. It is divided into a PUBLIC section (anyone can visit and view) and a MEMBERS ONLY section (for members of the SBCS).
The PUBLIC section TABS include:
- HOME: The home page is SBCS’ face to the public. Here is where updates on activities, interesting programs, articles, stories from members are posted intermittently. If you want to stay current with SBCS programs, over to the right is a spot where you can register to receive an email when a new post goes up. Good way to stay abreast of convention plans. In that same right column there is a search field for the public areas of the website, as well as a listing of recent posts and a listing of categories. All of these can make a search a little easier.
- ABOUT SBCS: A HISTORY of the organization which begins in 1995; IN THE MEDIA – listings with links to articles and videos in local and national publications about Souvenir Buildings and their collectors; PAST CONVENTIONS – summary of locales and the commemorative souvenir.
- 2017 CONVENTION: Updates on the upcoming annual Convention.
- MEMBERSHIP: List of SBCS membership benefits and link to membership application and payment.
- SALES: There are two links under this tab, one for COMMERCIAL sales by sellers who are members of SBCS – link to the member’s commercial site can be provided, the second is for INDIVIDUAL members who would like to offer some of their collection publicly. In both instances the transaction is between the buyer and seller – SBCS only provides the means of contact. Take a look and see if you would like to take advantage of this member benefit. In the past there have been a couple of offers in the individual section.
- CONTACT US: This tab allows you to send an email message to the site, which is reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate person. It also is a conduit for questions about souvenir buildings.
- LINKS: There are number of links to other sites that can be used for networking, browsing, and research. You can link to the Souvenir Building Collectors’ Facebook page (a closed group – but open to accepting new friends – SBCS membership not required), The Building Collector blog, National Building Museum, Canadian Centre for Architecture, The Still Bank Collectors, etc.
The MEMBERS ONLY section (TAB) includes access to:
- BANTHRICO BUILDINGS THEN & NOW (downloadable pdf) by Lance Oldham
- Building Exchange / Sales: member to member, also has a Wanted page
- Convention Photos taken by members over a number of years
- SBCS Newletter: Listing of back issues with links to each (downloadable pdf); Updated Indexes of Articles & Features, Authors, and Topics.
- Officers: Listing of present Society Officers.
Here’s a photo of a vintage Navy Pier souvenir building as A REMINDER THAT WE MEET IN THE FALL OF 2017 IN CHICAGO!
There are lots of reasons to renew (or start) your Souvenir Building Collectors Society membership.
Sharing your passion for small edifices with others of like mind.
Receiving the Souvenir Building Collector, The Journal of the Souvenir Building Collectors Society, 3 times per year.
Access to the Members Only Section of the SBCSociety website with its collection of reference materials that include Volumes 1 to 23 of the SBCS Journal and Lance Oldham’s Banthrico Buildings Then & Now.
Access to the Members Only Section of the SBCSociety website pages with buildings for exchange or sale and a wanted list.
THE ANNUAL CONVENTION! Three days of exceptional tours, friendships, and trading!
Individual Memberships are USD $35.00 ($40.00 Foreign). Family/Household Memberships are USD $70.00 ($80.00 Foreign). Click here to reach the Membership Page.
The 2016 Souvenir Building Collectors Society Convention in Los Angeles is history. Yet no one who attended will forget the camaraderie, the tours, the member exhibits, the swaps, sales, raffle and auction action. The 2016 Convention Commemorative, made by InFocus Tech, of Hollyhock House will keep the memories bright.
Besides the Commemorative Souvenir Building of the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Hollyhock House in Barnsdall Park, Los Angeles, a handout listing souvenir buildings and monuments in the LA area was distributed. Click here to download a pdf of the listings.
The 2017 Convention will be held in Chicago in October. Planning is underway and updates will be posted on this website on the 2017 Convention page. Keep watching.
The SBCS Convention 2016 will be held in Los Angeles. Here is your chance to share your passion for miniature buildings, monuments, statues and landmarks with others who are just as nutty as you are about these little gems. The event organizers are looking for local Southern California members, past members, or future members who are anxious to share their collections with Souvenir Building Collectors Society convention attendees.
As one convention organizer put it, “ Though I had been a member of SBCS for many years, I had never been involved until the last local Convention which was held in Pasadena in 2009. I was hooked, and have attended every annual Convention since.”
This year’s event will be held on June 9 -10 -11, 2016. Our base of operation will be the Embassy Suites hotel near LAX. One of the main draws for many attendees is the opportunity to see other SBCS Members’ collections. We are looking for Members who would be interested in showcasing their collection by being part of a Progressive Collection Tour around the Los Angeles area.
If you are not centrally located in the Los Angeles area, but would be interested in showcasing highlights from your collection, other arrangements such as displays at the Convention hotel or at other Members homes might be arranged. We have done this successfully in the past.
If you have interest in showcasing your collection please send the organizer an email letting us know of your interest.