There once was a collector called Kneisel
Of souvenir buildings he had a houseful
With generous foresight
To SBCS members’ delight
His Legacy provides surprise by the boxful!
A single box containing 5 items from Bob Kneisel’s bequest to SBCS is being offered to each paid-up SBCS member for $25 a box. The $25 covers packing and shipping.
The contents of each box will be randomly selected from some of the lesser or duplicative pieces in Bob’s collection. They will be selected to fit 5 items into a USPS Medium Flat Rate Box.
No member may purchase more than one (1) box from this offering. Household memberships can purchase two (2) boxes.
This offer is time-limited. You must be a paid-up SBCS member by October 1, 2018. The Pot-Metal Box-Luck order must be received by October 15. The boxes will be mailed the last week of October.
So get your order in early. You will be able to place your order starting September 1, 2018.
Conviviality was a big feature of the 2018 SBCS Convention in Worcester, Mass. Billed as a Boston / Brimfield / Building Bash, the Convention delivered on all accounts. The fields of Brimfield, the local (or nearly local) antique malls and shops, the Convention Swap Meet, Raffle, and Auction all contributed to the friendly competition among attendees. Here’s a look at SBCS Boston 2018.
Members contributing photos to the slide show: Carolyn C, Tarrun V, Joe K, Wynn W, Jerry I-H, Steven C.
Our facebook page has been quite active in recent weeks covering all sorts of souvenir building topics and all sorts of souvenir buildings – with lots of pictures.
Collectors are riffing on plastic, ceramic, and wood buildings, Apple Park, Ukranian Churches, James Dean, Fallingwater. New members are posting pictures of their collections. Joe K. has a discussion question up for Boston attendees about the use of the Antiques and Collectibles guide that was available. Check it out here: Souvenir Building Collectors
The next Journal of The Souvenir Building Collectors Society will contain an article and an offer from the Kneisel Committee. The offer of 5 Kneisel Collection buildings for a mailing and packing fee of $25 will be open to all who are current (paid-up) SBCS members as of September 30, 2018. Specific details will appear here on the SBCS website soon and in the SBCS Journal. “Watch this space” and be sure your membership is up-to-date.
Memories of: Architecture, Friends, FLW, the Bean, Museums, the River, Shopping, Swapping, and lots of Little Buildings! They’ve all been packed up and are headed for home ……………….
Kudos to Mark and Michael for a well-executed Convention with lots of options, camaraderie, and plenty of opportunities for acquisition of small buildings. As plans for the next conventions crystallize they will be conveyed via The Journal of the Souvenir Building Collectors Society and this website.
Raffle Ticket Sales were good. Auction Bidding was Animated.
The Souvenir Building Collectors Society caught the early boat! What a magnificent day for this cruise!
It’s time to reserve your table space at the annual SBCS SWAP MEET (full table – $25, half table – $15). Click here to download the Registration Form.
All across the country and maybe the globe, souvenir building enthusiasts are culling their collections in anticipation of this year’s swap meet. You never know what treasure will appear in the Saturday Swap and Sale Meet.
The Souvenir Building Society will have a group of small buildings from the Bob Kneisel Collection for sale. Here are a few pictures.
Our hotel in Chicago is in the shadow of the Tribune Tower and the Wrigley Buildings, an easy walk to Michigan Ave. and the Navy Pier, just across the river from the Loop, Millennium Park (the Bean), the Chicago Art Institute, and all the other wonderful buildings and museums and galleries and stores.
Tell your friends, spread the news, Chicago 2017 is going to be an exciting time.
We want to bring new faces to the convention this year. Reach out to any collectors you know or run into. Recruit them as members and first-time conventioneers at SBCS 2017 – Chicago!
WATCH FOR YOUR APRIL EDITION of The Journal of the Souvenir Building Collectors Society for further details.
In past Holiday Seasons, before so many gift selections went online, we all got lots of gift catalogs. The bounty of items found in those catalogs was detailed by Dixie Trainer, the first editor of SOUVENIR BUILDING COLLECTOR, in the 2003 Winter Issue. She recommended checking out AND even saving for later perusal catalogs that held pictures of a variety of small and unique buildings. To quote Dixie, “…. souvenir buildings light up, scale down, serve drinks, lie on the floor, play music, organize your books and challenge the mind.” Click here to be taken to the full article from 2003. And enjoy a trip to Christmas Past.
The SOUVENIR BUILDING COLLECTORS SOCIETY website has lots of useful features. It is divided into a PUBLIC section (anyone can visit and view) and a MEMBERS ONLY section (for members of the SBCS).
The PUBLIC section TABS include:
- HOME: The home page is SBCS’ face to the public. Here is where updates on activities, interesting programs, articles, stories from members are posted intermittently. If you want to stay current with SBCS programs, over to the right is a spot where you can register to receive an email when a new post goes up. Good way to stay abreast of convention plans. In that same right column there is a search field for the public areas of the website, as well as a listing of recent posts and a listing of categories. All of these can make a search a little easier.
- ABOUT SBCS: A HISTORY of the organization which begins in 1995; IN THE MEDIA – listings with links to articles and videos in local and national publications about Souvenir Buildings and their collectors; PAST CONVENTIONS – summary of locales and the commemorative souvenir.
- 2017 CONVENTION: Updates on the upcoming annual Convention.
- MEMBERSHIP: List of SBCS membership benefits and link to membership application and payment.
- SALES: There are two links under this tab, one for COMMERCIAL sales by sellers who are members of SBCS – link to the member’s commercial site can be provided, the second is for INDIVIDUAL members who would like to offer some of their collection publicly. In both instances the transaction is between the buyer and seller – SBCS only provides the means of contact. Take a look and see if you would like to take advantage of this member benefit. In the past there have been a couple of offers in the individual section.
- CONTACT US: This tab allows you to send an email message to the site, which is reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate person. It also is a conduit for questions about souvenir buildings.
- LINKS: There are number of links to other sites that can be used for networking, browsing, and research. You can link to the Souvenir Building Collectors’ Facebook page (a closed group – but open to accepting new friends – SBCS membership not required), The Building Collector blog, National Building Museum, Canadian Centre for Architecture, The Still Bank Collectors, etc.
The MEMBERS ONLY section (TAB) includes access to:
- BANTHRICO BUILDINGS THEN & NOW (downloadable pdf) by Lance Oldham
- Building Exchange / Sales: member to member, also has a Wanted page
- Convention Photos taken by members over a number of years
- SBCS Newletter: Listing of back issues with links to each (downloadable pdf); Updated Indexes of Articles & Features, Authors, and Topics.
- Officers: Listing of present Society Officers.
Here’s a photo of a vintage Navy Pier souvenir building as A REMINDER THAT WE MEET IN THE FALL OF 2017 IN CHICAGO!